credit for all photos Marvin @ www.cruzerfilmes.com
On Saturday 27th October 2018 the Descendants family got together to mark our 14th Annual Dr John Roberts CBE Q.C Achievement Awards . Everyone gathered at the Doubletree by Hilton Hotel in Ealing Common to celebrate the great achievements of our young people. The evening was a real showcase of what can be achieved through hard work, dedication, and determination – even against great odds.
The big stars of the evening were, of course, all of our young winners and nominees, but we were also very privileged to be joined by a whole host of distinguished guests, including:
- Richard Kornicki CBE DL – Representative Deputy Ltnt, London Borough of Ealing
- Councillor Abdullah Gulaid – Deputy Mayor of Ealing
- Mr Julian Bell (accompanied by Mrs Bell) – The Leader of Ealing Council
- Rupa Huq – MP for Acton
- Mr Sandy (accompanied by Mrs Sandy) – High Commissioner for Grenada
- Dr Patricia Walker -Visiting Professor University of West London St Mary’s Road, Ealing
- Mrs John Roberts and John Roberts Jr -Wife and Son of the late Dr John Roberts CBE QC
- Lennox Thomas – Psychologist, Author, Descendants’ Patron
- Sister Monica – Nun, Community activist Descendants Patron
- Barbara Quartey BEM – Manager at an Ealing private school
- Marcella Phelan BEM – Ealing Education department
- Mr Eric Huntley – Owner of first black book shop in Ealing, Community Leader
- Pier Wilkie – daughter of the Late Willis Wilkie
- Joshua Beckford – Gifted 13-year-old who went to Oxford University at the age of 6
This inspiring evening began with a delicious three course meal. We heard from our special guest speaker, Brianna Cyrus, Program Manager for Routes2Success at BTEG (Black Training and Enterprise Group) . As one of the first children to attend Descendants, and now a mother herself, Brianna has a special place in Descendants history and was the perfect person to inspire the room. Later we were treated to musical performances from the multi-talented Camara Fearon – singer, songwriter, actor, community activist, Descendants Patron and first person to win the Steve McQueen OBE Award – and award-winning singer, musician and actor Leyton Benta .
In total 17 Awards were handed out on the evening to primary year 6 pupils and secondary and special schools. Our Roll of Honour:
- Student Who Excels in All Areas of Education: Ugonna (Aimee) Onuh
- Student Who Works Hard & Achieves Against All Odds: Alzinho Peters (East Acton Primary)
- The Kim Noel Award: Dylan Campbell-Bailey (St Vincent RC School)
- Student Who Excels in Arts: Addis Gray-Bledman (St Anselm’s Catholic Primary School)
- Student Who Excels in Sport: Joanna Miatelana (St Ansselm’s Catholic Primary School)
- Future Leader: Ilyas Ali (Havelock Primary School)
- The Steve McQueen OBE Award (Overall Outstanding Primary): Alzinho Peters (East Acton Primary)
- Student who Excels in All Areas of Education: Zamzam Abdidahir Mohamed (Featherstone High Sixth Form)
- Student Who Works Hard & Achieves Against All Odds: Taejah Headley (Brentside High School)
- Student Who Excels in Sport: Brandon Rochester (Northolt High School)
- The Eric Huntley Award: Monica De Castro (Ark Acton Academy)
- The Connie Mark BEM MBE Award: Kayniyan Trotman (Ark Acton Academy)
- Future Leader: Jacquam (Junior) Tobin (John Chilton School)
- The Dr John Roberts CBE QC Award (Overall Outstanding Secondary): Zamzam Abdidahir Mohamed (Featherstone High School)
- Special Recognition for Student no Longer in School: Al-Amin Miller for Excellent Exam Results
- Special Teachers Award: Celestina Uzoka (Descendants Chair)
All winners were presented with a trophy while runners-up received medals.
Photo galleries featuring winners, nominees and guests to follow.
Special thanks extended to Cakestoolicious for our beautiful and delicious celebration cake and to Satisfaxion Sound for providing the music.
The feedback from the evening has been excellent and very encouraging. This was the 14th year that Descendants has organised this event, which is sponsored by Ealing Children Services and supported by Ealing Council. Whilst the number of children nominated by schools this year was greatly reduced, the quality of the nominations was exceptional.
A wonderful event, and a fitting occasion to mark the tremendous milestone that is 25 Years of Descendants. Thank you to everyone – teachers, parents, our committee, community members and, of course, our children & young people – for your support this anniversary year. Please keep checking the website for news on our other upcoming celebrations – we’d love to see you there.