Descendants is an arts-focused educational project aimed at children and young people aged 4-18 years primarily – though not exclusively – of African and Caribbean descent. During the weekly sessions our main focus is on African and Caribbean culture; we explore history, we experiment with art, craft, music, drama and dance.
We encourage children and young people to develop a sense of pride in their abilities through increasing their self confidence. We also aim to increase their knowledge of their history and ancestry, by urging them to appreciate the accomplishments made by their ancestors. Our children are also encouraged to celebrate and recognise the positive achievements of role models in the community today.
At Descendants we aim to make sure that all who attend our projects are able to attain the UK Government’s Every Child Matters outcomes.
We hold our club meetings every Friday 6.00pm – 8.00pm during school terms.
We run holiday projects
We run educational activities
We run inspirational projects
We organise educational trips for children and young people
We offer support to children and their parents
We work with, and run projects in partnerships with other organisation
We offer a mentoring service to young people in small groups and one to one
HISTORY, MUSIC, ART/CRAFT, DANCE, DRAMA, PERFORMANCES, EDUCATION TRIPS, SUMMER SCHOOL..
Over the years Descendants Children, have experienced many amazing opportunities, some significant ones are listed below:
• Performance at Royal Albert Hall for Patti Boulaye – “Reaching Out for Africa” Parents also sang in the 5,000 strong choir.
• 2000 – Performance for the Queen’s Golden Jubilee at The Mall, central London
• 2000 – Performance for the Queen’s Golden Jubilee at Gunnersbury Park, Ealing
• Descendants performed on 2 separate occasion for Arsenal footballer ‘Kanu’ for his heart Foundation charity at the Hilton, Edgware Road.
• Established a week of dance ’Rhythmic Dance Triangle’ in partnership with YSB and The Jiving Lindy Hoppers. This event ran for 15 years.
• Making a film with director Pogus Ceaser
• Annual Achievement Awards established in 2004, now in its 12th year
• Running Strengthening Families, Strengthening Communities parenting projects.
• Established a Boy’s and Girls club working in partnership with the local Ealing Police.
More information about the Charity can be found in Descendants book for the special price of £3.99.